MiccroShield Masking - 4oz JarTolber
A General-Purpose Stop-Off Lacquer for most Plating Cycles
MICCROSHIELD is a high-solids, air-dry lacquer, transparent orange/red in color, that can be applied by brushing, dipping or spraying if diluted properly.
MICCROSHIELD is suitable for masking in the following cycles:
Electropolishing; Electroless Nickel; Neutral and Acid Gold Palladium; Indium Rhodium; Anodizing Bronze; Any Acid Cycle Silver; Chrome.
COLOR: Transparent Orange/Red
VISCOSITY: 45-50 sec. #2 Zahn FLASH POINT: 30_ F, T.C.C.
COVERAGE RATE: Approx. 15.5 ft2, per 4 oz
- Chemically and/or mechanically clean the area of the part to be masked. The area to be masked must be free of all dirt, grease, oil or other contaminants. Cleaning is the most critical aspect of the masking process.
- Apply MICCROSHIELD to the area to be masked by dipping, brushing, or spraying. Appropriate dilution of MICCROSHIELD is required for spraying. For reducing MICCROSHIELD use MICCROSHIELD REDUCER only!
- Apply a minimum of 2 successive coats of MICCROSHIELD to the area to be masked, allowing a minimum of 30 minutes air-dry time between coats and overnight air-dry time after final coat before introduction into solution. Faster drying of MICCROSHIELD can be accomplished by force-drying for 15 minutes in an oven not exceeding 140_ F, or over a hot plate not exceeding 140_ F. Drying time will vary depending on relative humidity. Make sure MICCROSHIELD has lost all solvent odor before force drying or applying additional coats. Drying over a hot plate is preferable to oven drying.
- For extra long cycles, 3 coats are recommended. If area to be masked is highly polished, see back page for additional application procedures.
- MICCROSHIELD can be removed using MICCROSTRIP B or MICCROSTRIP A. MICCROSHIELD REDUCER is also effective but somewhat slower.
- Replace evaporated solvent with MICCROSHIELD REDUCER ONLY!
FOR MASKING POLISHED SILVER AND COPPER BASED ALLOYS
After final polishing and cleaning (no water constrictions, etc.), the following process is suggested:
- Chromate treat the part (commercial chromate product), exposure time 30 to 60 seconds depending on solution pH and concentrate. (NOTE: No visible etch or darkening should appear on critical polished surfaces.)
- Clean water rinse the part at ambient temperature.
- Force dry the part using clean, oil free air.
- Dilute MICCROSHIELD 50/50 with MICCROSHIELD REDUCER.
- Apply "thinned" MICCROSHIELD to all areas of the part being stopped off.
- Air dry part with "thinned" MICCROSHIELD until the solvent odor is gone.
- Bake part with "thinned" MICCROSHIELD for 10-15 minutes in a circulating oven or over a hot plate not to exceed 150_F.
- Cool part to room temperature.
- Apply 1st coat of MICCROSHIELD over all areas of the part that were primed with the "thinned" MICCROSHIELD and let air dry for 20-30 minutes.
- Apply a 2nd coat of MICCROSHIELD and let air dry for 20-30 minutes.
- Bake part for 10-15 minutes in a circulating oven or over a hot plate not to exceed 1 50_F.
- Cool part and prepare surface for the required electroplate.
CONTAINS VOLATILE SOLVENTS -- Keep away from sparks and open flame. Store at temperatures above 32°F and below 105°F. Keep containers closed when not in use. Maintain adequate ventilation in working area. Wear approved respirators and protective clothing when working in confined areas. Avoid repeated breathing of concentrated vapors. Prolonged contact of liquid material with skin may be irritating. If material comes in contact with skin, wash skin surface thoroughly with soap and water. In case of eye contact, flush eyes thoroughly for 15 minutes with water and consult a physician. REFER TO MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET FOR ADDITIONAL WARNINGS AND INFORMATION.
Based upon Seller's experience, the information contained herein is believed to be reliable. Seller requests that Purchasers and users inspect and test Seller's products as to contents and suitability for a particular purpose. Seller disclaims any express warranties and nothing contained herein shall constitute any warranty, whether express or implied, and Seller hereby DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. Additionally, Seller makes no warranties concerning the compliance of products with any state, local, or federal laws or regulations and Purchaser assumes full responsibility for complying with such laws, regulations, codes and requirements. Seller makes no warranty concerning and does not assume in this or any other document any obligation or liability in connection with patent infringement suits brought against Purchaser, user and/or Seller with respect to Seller's products. The EXCLUSIVE REMEDY for all proven claims whether through negligence, strict liability, tort or otherwise is limited to an amount equal to the price of the particular products or services giving rise to the liability, or, at the election of the Seller, the replacement of the product in question. In no event shall Seller be liable to Purchaser for any incidental, consequential, indirect, or special damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or profits, even if Seller was advised of the possibility of such lost revenues or profits (subject to state by state application of Mag-Moss [16CFR701.3]).