Gold is great for jewelry, but what about dental procedures? We asked dentistry professionals to weigh in about the pros and cons of gold in the mouth. Here’s what they had to say:
Lunsford is a fourth-year dental student at the University of Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry. He currently sees patients from the Detroit area full time at the dental school clinic.
Dr. Maziar Shabestari, DDS, PhD
Maziar Shabestari is a Doctor of dental surgery from the odonatological faculty of Oslo University (2010) and a specialist in periodontology from the odontological faculty of Oslo University (2017).
Dr. Sonal Bhoot
Dr. Sonal Bhoot is the founder of Dental Expressions. Dr. Bhoot has over 15 years of dental experience and received her doctorate in Dental Medicine (DMD) in 2003 from the New Jersey Dental School.
Like everything else, gold teeth have their pros and cons. They are less common today because of ceramic and stainless steel crowns gaining popularity.Why gold teeth may be a bad idea:
- Gold inlays or gold teeth involve chipping away a perfectly good tooth to insert the gold, destroying it in the process.
- Some dentists use a fake gold material instead of genuine gold, and this can lead to excessive tooth sensitivity.
- What remains of the original tooth gets discolored.
- A gold filling placed next to a silver filling can cause a sharp pain due to galvanic shock and can even cause an electric current to occur when these metals contact saliva.
- Food particles trapped between them results in bacteria that cause bad breath, decay and gum diseases.
- Neglecting to clean grills can cause inflammation and gum diseases.
Besides these health problems, gold is also expensive and less attractive than a tooth-colored restoration.Gold teeth do have their pros including:
- Fracture resistance
- Gold teeth implants act like normal teeth, can be used to chew anything and cleaned like regular teeth.
This is a crowdsourced article. Contributors are not necessarily affiliated with this website and their statements do not necessarily reflect the opinion of this website, other people, businesses, or other contributors.